We’re three meetings in, and the ball is now rolling on creating activities that will help us assess computational thinking skills and processes. Before this meeting, we were each tasked with creating two unique physics-based activities to base our assessments on. Now it’s time to narrow in on a few to proceed with during this first phase of the project.
We started out with a demonstration about e-textiles. There is a lot of potential in e-textiles, both for learning and for creativity. Projects centered around e-textiles could certainly help us identify certain CT processes. After this demonstration, I gave a couple quick demonstrations of basic Arduino projects. Microcontrollers like Arduinos will probably be used more and more in classrooms as we continue to integrate technology into our curricula, so it’s probably a good idea to learn more about them.
After the demonstrations, we gathered into small groups to share the physics projects that we came up with. Sharing in these small groups allowed us to refine and critique each project. We chose our favorite projects, then shared them with everybody else. I really enjoyed seeing the range of ideas that are coming out of this group. Working with such a diverse group of people is really wonderful because there are so many different ideas and perspectives on how to tackle this project. We had some great discussions about the projects that were shared and how we could augment and make the most out of them if we end up moving forward with them.
From here, we’ll be further refining our projects so that we can accurately assess the computational think skills being used to work through them. I’m really excited to see what we end up choosing to move forward with. I see a lot of potential with this group!